Wednesday, May 6, 2020

CQA's Gateway to Adventure Challenge


Here are our Guild's entries for CQA/ACC's Member Guild Challenge "Gateway to Adventure". Each CQA/ACC member guild selects one "winner" from their membership's entries to represent their guild. Each piece had to include a visible amount of  the chosen green fabric- Kona's Jungle Green and entrants could add three other fabrics.  Please look them over carefully and make your choice, then vote (for one only!) on the survey you will be receiving soon by email.
Editor’s Note: I have included closeup shots from those who sent them. For those with only one photo, please click on the image for a closer look.

AND THE WINNER IS...... #1 Hibiscus Adventures!!!! Congrats Nancy!!


1. Hibiscus Adventures
by Nancy Richards
Dimensions: 19" x 15"


Gardening is an adventure for me as I do not have a green thumb, but my hibiscus tree is somehow surviving and it produces beautiful blossoms. The challenge green matched the leaf colour perfectly and inspired me in my search among my photos to use as the pattern for this piece.







Some elements are three dimensional, I also did a little thread painting. The three additional fabrics are a pale blue, a yellow and a gradient pink.










2. Bird of Paradise 
by Jenny Adams
Dimensions:  17.5" x 17.5"


Imagine adventures to other lands with visions of these exotic Birds of Paradise. I found the green of the challenge fabric the perfect backdrop for these colourful flowers which grow in profusion in Africa.

















The techniques used are machine applique and machine quilting. The three added fabrics were a blue, another green and a gradient yellow.















3. Gateway to Art Nouveau Adventure
by Lee McLean
Dimensions: 13" x 18.5"


Everything about this was a challenge and an adventure! First, how to use "that" green! Put it with a couple of nearby friends - teal and blue. Second, could I be inspired by a particular style? Draw and stitch a curvy design. Third, could I learn how Inktense pencils work? Colour and paint the white fabric to coordinate with the chosen fabrics,. Lastly, could I drive myself nuts with positioning the pieced binding fabric in the right places on a curved outer edge? Yes.
(Editor's Note- It is difficult to see the green, but it IS there - two stripes in the binding.)









4.  Looking for Adventure
by Trudy Corey  
Dimensions: 19.75" x 13.75"

I didn't have to look far for inspiration for this
incredibly green fabric. I have this
Neon Devil's Ivy in my kitchen... in this planter...
with this little frog holding on to the side of the dish.











I added the background and two other green fabrics.
The frog is entirely made of thread.


















5. Cat-ventures in my secret garden
by Gail Mitchell
Dimensions:  20" x 14"






Can you see the secret flowers?















6. Jungle Gate
by Linda Glassford 
Dimensions: 17.5" x 16.75"






The name Jungle Green inspired my entry. I had long wanted to try the techniques in Simple Stained Glass Quilts by Daphne Greig and Susan Purney Mark. This seemed to combine my love of geometric designs with vegetation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited, thank you for the votes, all the entries are so good, I'm really honoured and I hope I can make the Guild proud in the final competition.

    ReplyDelete